Queen’s Jubilee and Bee Bombs
Helping the Holme Valley to plant some seeds to save the bees to celebrate the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee
Holme Valley Parish Council wanted to get people of the Holme Valley to create more areas for bees to thrive. So they decided to start by approaching schools in the Holme Valley in May 2022 as part of the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee celebrations and give the pupils some seeds to sow in the valley.
We are delighted that all 13 schools in the Holme Valley took part in our Jubilee Wildflower and Tree Planting Project to mark this national celebration.
We hope this helps to create a lot more Climate Champions in the Holme Valley to help us get to our target of being carbon neural by 2030.
COP 26 Global Day of Action Huddersfield/ Kirklees
Join to call on our local and national politicians to act on the Climate ‘Code Red for Humanity’ during the International COP 26 Climate conference. Campaigners will be calling for a halt on local road schemes, as well as calling on the UK Government to stop supporting and funding fossil fuel projects.
More details on the Huddersfield Friends of the Earth Facebook Page
The Great Big Green Week Event- Saturday 25th September
Only three days to go before our big climate event in conjunction with The Great Big Green Week. We now have our full line up so please com and join us to find out how you can help and to make your own banana smoothie, get a packet of wild seeds and become a Climate Change Champion.
What will you see:
- Thanks to Co-op who are letting us use their car park. You can now recycle soft plastics at the coop and they will have a collection point and information about that on their stall
- Make your own banana smoothie on the smoothie bike with fairandfunky and learn about renewable energy and how to avoid food waste
- Fairtrader Holmfirth will be telling you what they are able to recycle and you can see some of their recycled goods that are available to purchase in store
- Extinction rebellion will be giving away packets of wildflower seeds and explaining why we need to make a change to our lifestyles to help the planet
- You will be able to see one of Kirklees electrical vans and speak to the council representative about their #recycling plans for the Holme Valley
- Our transport team will be introducing #HarrytheHopper and launching the “If it’s not far, leave the car” campaign
- HOTT Edibles will be giving away produce from the community garden and how and why the garden was created
- EcoHolmes Community Land Trust will tell you about their plans for building affordable low energy homes in the Holme Valley
- Find out about our Carbon calculator, how to get water saving devices free from Yorkshire Water and much more.
Please come along and see how you can make a difference to help the Holme Valley become carbon neutral by 2030 and why it’s so important.
The Great Big Green Week 18 – 26 September
The Great Big Green Week Event – Saturday 25th September in Coop Car Park Holmfirth
Holme Valley Climate Action Plan Group is hosting an event in Crown Bottom Car Park on Saturday 25th September from 11:00am – 4:00pm. We will be having several stalls for you to find out how the Holme Valley is working towards becoming carbon neutral by 2030. We can currently announce the following will be present:
- The coop will be providing us with the car park space in the corner car park and promoting their new line of compostable bags.
- fairandfunky will be bringing their smoothie bike to kick-start conversations on healthy eating, Fairtrade, waste, and recycling.
- Fair Trader will be on hand to tell you about what items can be taken to their store to be recycled and they can tell you about their recycled products in-store which includes beautiful rucksacks made of recycled plastics.
- You’ll be able to see electric cars and bikes and ask our transport team questions about them.
There’s more to come so keep watching this space and visiting our website. Why not like our page or sign up to our newsletter to receive further information.
Managing Your Energy Bills This Winter
With winter approaching many of us are concerned as to how we will pay our energy bills. Lara Blake will share with you ways you can reduce your energy bill and still keep warm this winter whilst helping the planet.
Managing Your Energy Bills This Winter
With winter approaching many of us are concerned as to how we will pay our energy bills. Lara Blake will share with you ways you can reduce your energy bill and still keep warm this winter whilst helping the planet. Listen to the repeat of the earlier live session.
All things Transport – how to be greener when you’re on the move
Thinking about climate change when we’re getting around affects us all. Hear about various organisations that can help or plan to help us in the future such as River Holme Connections, new cycling group ‘Bums on Saddles’, Cycling with Rachael new types of transport such as eBikes, eScooters and other vehicles and how to get used to walking. Also test your knowledge on local and global issues with our climate change quiz.
How EcoHolmes can help combat climate change in the Holme Valley
John Queening from HoTT will be talking about EcoHolmes and how it is looking to provide affordable housing and low energy homes in the Holme Valley and how they can help to combat climate change. There will be a video and presentation followed by a Q&A session.
This is a Zoom Webinar https://us02web.zoom.us/j/82473590361 but the event can also be accessed by telephone by calling+44 203 901 7895 and entering the meeting ID number 824 7359 0361. If calling there will be no access to view the presentation and video only the ability to listen and take part in the Q&A.
Intro to Climate Emergency Action Plan from Cllr Paul Davies
Please join us for a week of updates on the Climate Emergency Action Plan starting with an introduction from Cllr Paul Davies chair of the group
Holmfirth Repair Cafe, Full Life Church and the Coop
Our Repair Cafe is finally up and running so join us to find out all about it and how this repair cafe helps us to reduce waste and help the environment.
What’s happening with the environment & land, agriculture & food
Hear from local farmers from Coddy’s Farm and Longley Farm about their projects that are affecting climate change. HoTTwind and the turbine that is funding environmental projects through the turbine installed through Jimmy Dickinson. Here all the other projects that are affecting the valley such as land planning from Alison Morgan.